(Positions advertised in the CAA Career Center, a website hosted by the College Art Association, a professional organization of American artists and art historians).
These jobs involve teaching and researching at the college and university level. Students might include candidates for a B.A., M.A., or Ph.D. depending on one's home institution.
1. Ph.D. (doctorate) in art history
2. Reading knowledge of multiple languages
3. Research orientation
4. Maximum involvement with people
5. Good writing and communication skills
6. Travel and study abroad have varying degrees of importance, depending upon the art historian's specialization